Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Worst parent nominee: Prayer instead of medicine

Parents in Wisconsin who prayed over their 11-year-old daughter instead of taking her to the doctor were given 6 months in jail after the girl died of treatable but undiagnosed diabetes. The judge said they were good people who made  a bad decision.
"God probably works through other people," (the judge) told the parents, "some of them doctors."
I think this family should be given a Darwin Award rather than jail time.

I'm reminded of the story about a guy whose house was flooded, and a cop car came to rescue him. "No, God will save me." The water rose, and the cops sent a boat. "No, God will save me." The water rose higher, and the cops sent a helicopter. "No, God will save me." The guy drowned, and at the judgment seat, he said to God, "I thought you were going to save me." God said, "I sent a car, I sent a boat, I sent a helicopter ..."

There is a similar story in commentary to the Koran. Ali ibn Abi Talib (husband of Fatima and son-in-law of Mohammed) was sitting outside a mosque when a man rode up on a horse and got off to walk into the mosque. Ali said, "You forgot to tie up your horse." The man said, "I trust in God to look after my horse." Ali said, "No. First tie up your horse, then trust in God."

No comments:

Post a Comment