Saturday, May 15, 2010

Musing on music

My partner (MP) and I have different core music values. By that I mean we are moved deep in the lizard brain by different types of music. For me, it's 12-bar blues. For MP, it's salsa. Now MP likes blues okay, and I like salsa okay, but 12-bar blues makes my feet tap and head sway, while salsa makes MP's hips and shoulders move. I most like the parts of rock and roll, R&B, soul music, swing, gospel, and country music that are most like 12-bar blues.

Now why should that be? I don't have anything in my background that would move me toward the blues, nor does MP have any background in salsa, but for each of us, that music seems to resonate with us more than any other, though it's not particularly from our heritage, and for that matter, our heritages are fairly similar, amounting to different parts of Europe. Maybe it's something in the prenatal wiring of the auditory cortex and depends on whether our moms were getting more micro-nutrients from ribs, potatoes, and collard greens or tacos with beans and rice.

I don't have an answer, or even a plausible conjecture. It's just something I've been wondering about.

No comments:

Post a Comment